Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Time

My wife was watching a cooking show, or at least it was on the TV while she was in the kitchen cooking when I walked into the house. This is what was frozen on the screen while the audio continued about cooking. The show was literally still going on the audio side, but the screen froze with this creepy picture of a person and an eye. Doesn't even seem related to the cooking show.

I lead with that observation. No real conclusion. Just wanted to share it. Time froze perhaps?

Watched the movie Arrival this past week and I've since watched it several more times. One of the best sci-fi movies of all time. Lots to think about and a profound story. And well done by the director and team. If you've not seen it, I recommend it. I heard it is based on a short story which I've now downloaded to listen to soon.


The two prior items have to do with time. This has been on my mind a lot lately after having quit my job and transitioning into whatever is next. I've cleaned up my study at home and in the process, realized that most of the books I own, I will never open again. In fact, likely nobody on earth will ever look at these books again. They've become a decoration on a wall. They provide color and in some cases, memories in this office.

I've transitioned to electronic books 99% of the time now so these books are aging in the sense that newer books are not finding their way onto this bookshelf or other shelfs in the house. These books are 'aging' and will be less relevant in some sense if they are time sensitive.  I supposed fiction and history and faith based books remain timeless, but non-fiction and science become less so. In fact, on one shelf I have some of my original engineering and physics and electronics books. They have certainly aged and they are kept for the memories of what they meant to me at some point in the past.

Related, we had a large number of DVDs on a shelf that were no longer being referenced or touched. They were also providing color and something on a wall and on a shelf. We removed all of those and put them in boxes, but even as we do this, I know this is just a step on the way to disposal. They will sit in those boxes for a period of time and then at some point, they will be disposed of or donated by me or someone else at some point in the future. I should probably skip the storage step and transition them out now.

I've been thinking about some future runs and going to some 'destination' runs. Runs in other cities. But I find myself thinking about doing this one in 2017 and these in 2018 and then trying to get this other one in 2019. That just seems strange and hilarious to me in some sense. I don't know what tomorrow will bring and I'm planning runs or thinking about runs in 2019.

Time. It goes by fast. You make plans and you assume you are going to do this or that. A friend discovered in the past few days that her mother is dying. Other friends suddenly lost a loved one recently. A coworker lost a spouse suddenly this past year. A relative lost her husband suddenly last year. All in the blink of an eye.

Hold onto your loved ones. Be grateful for everything.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 ESV


For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; a time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; ...

James 4:13-14 ESV
Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit”— yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. 






1 comment:

  1. Way to go on the decluttering! Most of the books I'm keeping are memories, too. I hadn't really thought about that. I'm hoping to read some to grandkids someday. :)

    ReplyDelete