Monday, August 1, 2016

Much Reading Lately

For various reasons, I'm in a season of much reading. Strictly speaking, some of this is Audible as I do 'reading' while driving, but it is still reading.  I seem to read in spurts.

Here are a few recommendations.

Nearly finished with The History of the Ancient World: From the Earliest Accounts to the Fall of Rome which I'm listening to while driving. Absolutely amazing. It is a face paced summary of recorded history from the earliest events through the fall of Rome. Mesopotamia, China, India, Persia, Rome, Brits, etc. It is 26+ hours long of narration and I've set the narration to 1.25x normal speed to get through it. The story hops around the world as kingdoms arise, prosper, expand, collapse, conquer, are conquered and ultimately fade away.

It seems we've not changed since the beginning of time. Lots of biblical literature woven throughout. It seems that we've not matured much from a social point of view. I read a sci-fi book years ago that talked about our planet not being very advanced in social 'calculus' and thus we weren't very advanced. Seems true. Watch the news.

And just finished Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death, and Brain Surgery which is the account of a neurosurgeon and his work. Success and failure. Very sobering and scary and causes one to think. I've read a number of medical related books over the years which you can see in prior posts and this resonated with me again.

The End of Average: How We Succeed in a World That Values Sameness is a most interesting book about how we over and over fail when we apply averages that are based on groups to individuals. Lots of interesting stories about how we map individuals against average and how that is absolutely wrong. Teachers might really like this book and it is most recommended.  Averages tend to hide our unique, individual characteristics; our gifts, our talents, our interests.

And I've read several books on running which you might not care about so I won't mention them here.

Currently reading The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business based on a recommendation from Summer L. and reading A Beautiful Question: Finding Nature's Deep Design based on a recommendation from Ken P.  I've got 10 others in the near queue.

I should say I broke down and bought a new Kindle and I love it. I've been using iPads, etc. for years but this is better. I can read in bright light again.

I've got two books on pre-order and I've got a bunch to read. I'm ready for my upcoming reading binge appointment during a certain vacation.

Always interested in hearing your recommendations.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Mark, thanks for sharing your recent reading list. One book caught my attention is "The Power of Habit." I have been reading a book you might finding interesting. It is by James Smith and is called "You Are What You Love: The Spiritual Power of Habit." It may be very different from "The Power of Habit", but I thought I would share it with you. Thanks for sharing your reads!

    Ben Langford

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ben. I will definitely go take a look as personal recommendations are highly valued by me. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete