Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Fierceness

Is that a word?

I think a lot lately about being more fierce. How does one become more fierce. How does one become tougher mentally?

Being a runner, I want to be tougher. I read something in a book that said endurance running is about learning to cope with misery deep into a long run. The books I mentioned here talk about this some, but I still have much to learn.

The past few weeks, I've gone to 5-6 college tennis competitions as I know the coach at Oklahoma State University and I've been drawn into the success they've experienced this year. I've become fascinated by the competitions and the athletes who I consider fierce competitors. I aspire to be more like this and to be more fierce. OSU lost in the national championship match yesterday in Tulsa to Stanford. Kudos to Stanford and my compliments to both teams who competed and worked hard to get to that place.

What does fierceness mean and how does one become fierce? People who just go, go, go are fierce. People who don't give up are fierce. People who keep getting out there every day are fierce.

I want to get better at this.

You know, I did move with my family to Singapore years ago. That was a pretty brave thing to do. And I routinely stand up and talk to big groups, that is brave. I did a commencement address two years ago. Maybe I'm close but don't quite understand it yet.

What does fierce mean to you?


2 comments:

  1. Fierce is running in this horrific heat and humidity. On second thought, fierce may be just going to the mailbox and back in this weather....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. This heat and humidity makes going to the mailbox a big deal.

      Delete