Tuesday, September 8, 2015

After Acts

Wanted to do a quick post to recommend the book After Acts: Exploring the Lives and Legends of the Apostles by Bryan Litfin. The book examines the historical evidence about key figures in the early days of the Christian movement and it attempts to separate, or grade, the facts vs. the legends.

I love to anchor what I believe in history. I want to tie things down to real places, people and events and this book does a good job at tying parts of these stories to real historical people and places.

I'm going to be teaching a class tomorrow night at church on Luke and in two weeks on Mark and in both cases I'll be leveraging a lot of content from the books in the lessons.

Luke is interesting to me and resonates with me because he attempts to write a very orderly, documented account of Jesus and the early years of the church. Of the four gospels, I like his viewpoint better than the other viewpoints.

Anyway, wanted to get this recommendation out there.


2 comments:

  1. Good to know! One thing I remember about the book of Luke is that he records more interactions Jesus has with women than any other NT book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, thanks so much for saying this. I used it in the class! And somebody mentioned it too! I appreciate you! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete