Sunday, July 26, 2015

An update on reading (listening)

A few reading updates. I've gone audible this past month listening to several longer book series while driving or flying. And I've gone Sci-Fi.

The first series is the Slaver Wars by Raymond Weil. It starts with wreckage of a alien space ship found on the moon and it goes from there. A fun, fast story across several books, but it does ignore a lot of science like spacetime. Moon Wreck (The Slaver Wars Book 1) is the first book in the series and I read, I mean listened to, all seven books in the series.

This brought me back to a series of book I read on the Kindle years ago that I then listened to on Audible. The six books in the Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell begin with Dauntless (The Lost Fleet, Book 1) followed by the five books in the Lost Fleet Beyond the Frontier Series which continues the stories and begins with The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Dreadnaught book.

The Lost Fleet series is a good story that is more believable and realistic than the first series. Real people, things that wear out, betrayal and mystery and lots of good strategic military ideas and plans. And the main character is a person of honor which is good thing.



During this series, I read The First Phone Call from Heaven: A Novel by Mitch Albom which is ok. An interesting idea but it seemed to end strangely.  And I read Mr. Mercedes: A Novel by Stephen King. I'm a huge Stephen King fan, but didn't care for this as much because it was just different. Didn't seem like a traditional Stephen King story. I won't read the sequel.

And I read a book about running which has informed what I'm trying to do these days 80/20 Running: Run Stronger and Race Faster By Training Slower by Fitzgerald.

I'm currently listening to A Prayer for Owen Meany: A Novel which my wife has recommended to me many times so now is the time. Just started it today while running (Audible again).

And I'm currently reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing which I had already started when my friend wrote about it here. It must be a 'must read' since we both found it!

Here are some in the near queue (there are lots in the queue but these are at the top):
  1. Why Information Grows: The Evolution of Order, from Atoms to Economies
  2. The Vital Question: Energy, Evolution, and the Origins of Complex Life which DJ recommended when I was in Singapore.
  3. The Road to Character which I found somewhere.
  4. Finding Truth: 5 Principles for Unmasking Atheism, Secularism, and Other God Substitutes which I heard great comments about somewhere.
  5. Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why which I had seen before and I think someone reminded me of it recently somewhere. Can't find who recommended it however.
And I've got a new Edward Tufte book which I need to study.

There you go. Hope you are doing well. Any book recommendations are appreciated. And my dear wife reads and reads and reads and she posts her reviews here so stop by for more ideas.








4 comments:

  1. Have you read Moonwalking with Einstein? It's about memorization - getting to be a lost art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this book somewhere. I'll find it.

      Delete
  2. I completely Marie Kondoed my closet several weeks ago. And then I went through the house kondoing anything else I could get my hands on. And, yes, I now consider kondoing a verb. Similar to googling.

    ReplyDelete