Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Truth

I continue to be amazed at how different people, near and far, believe and have some sense of the divine but at the same time believe completely different things. Of course there are people who are agnostic and say there is not enough evidence to believe in anything and there are others who are atheistic and believe there is nothing (which seems odd since how can you believe in a negative?). 

But the diversity of opinion is what amazes me. People bow to bronze statues, spend the day at a temple somewhere and bow in front of a figure dressed in clothes or go to a particular place and walk around something. Or they just believe in their spirituality and practices various disciplines as a result. One can even argue that being kind and forgiving and full of joy might be a good way to move through the day.

In the wisdom literature of the Bible, it says in the book of Ecclesiastes in the 3rd chapter that, 
"He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end." 
which just seems so true. It just seems that there is something carved into our hearts that is searching for the divine, searching for something beyond ourselves, something above in some sense. But we all don't go to the same place and in fact, we crash or land or end up in different places. Much of this is based on where we grow up and who raises us.

Ravi Zacharius writes in his book  Jesus Among Other Gods: The Absolute Claims of the Christian Message writes:

All religions are not the same. All religions do not point to God. All religions do not say that all religions are the same. At the heart of every religion is an uncompromising commitment to a particular way of defining who God is or is not and accordingly, of defining life’s purpose.
It is really nonsense to believe that you can believe whatever you want and it is really nonsense to think that all thinking and beliefs lead to the same place. That just doesn't make sense in the real world. There is truth somewhere.

Zacharius further writes:
I came to Him because I did not know which way to turn. I have remained with Him because there is no other way I wish to turn. I came to Him longing for something I did not have. I remain with Him because I have something I will not trade. I came to Him as a stranger. I remain with Him in the most intimate of friendships. I came to Him unsure about the future. I remain with Him certain about my destiny. I came amid the thunderous cries of a culture that has three hundred and thirty million deities. I remain with Him knowing that truth cannot be all-inclusive. Truth by definition excludes.
I'm about 30% of the way through the Zacharius book and I'm enjoying it immensely. I read it years ago, but I'm reading it again. I'm thinking about going to a class or seminar or something on these ideas at RZIM.

I hope that wherever you are today, that you are having a good day and that eternity is tugging at your heart and that you are ALIVE.


No comments:

Post a Comment