Thursday, March 19, 2015

Two Books: Sheldon and Resilience

Those of you who are my regular readers, both of you, will know that I like to comment on books I've read. Here are a couple of very interesting books that I've finished this week.

The Rosie Project: A Novel is the starting point this week. I read about this on a blog somewhere where the author wrote that he gives copies of this book to all his friends. That was a good enough recommendation for me and I went for it.

The book is about a 'special' person who reminds me of Sheldon in the Big Bang Theory where he is set in his ways, is very particular, and does not vary his routine. This person decides that the way to find a mate is to setup a web survey and have women apply and the one who meets his criteria would be the perfect mate. Obviously, that can only be hysterical.  I won't say more, but this is a funny and touching book.

The second book is How to Survive: The Extraordinary Resilience of Ordinary People by Andy Steiner. It is a book about people who go through extaordinary hard times, like most people, and how they deal with the issue. Divorce, death of a spouse, death of a child, major life changes, loss of job, bankruptcy, etc. The book points out that all of us, everybody you encounter, is dealing with hard problems. The tag line at the top of this blog is all about that. Everybody.

This book talks about each issue and then suggests how some recommend dealing with each issue. Highly recommended.



No comments:

Post a Comment