Sunday, July 27, 2014

Wandering Around But Not Landing Anywere

I can't seem to find something to enjoy to read. I'm currently reading 5-10-15 books simultaneously and not sticking with any single one(except the last one below). For some reason, I'm having a hard time locking in on a genre or author. Here are some things I'm reading and some thoughts from each one.

1) Girl at the End of the World: My Escape from Fundamentalism in Search of Faith with a Future which is about a girl growing up in an extremely fundamentalist family in America. It is her tale of what life was like and what she thought and learned. After escaping with her husband and kids, she starts watching tv for the first time in her life. She thought it was real, 
"TV had given me the impression that everyone else had loads of wonderful gadgets and tools and friends; networks of colleagues; and thriving, intact families. “You know it’s all just a show, right?” Matt asked me one evening while we sat on the front porch watching our little ones play in the yard. “It’s all an illusion. Nobody has the glamorous life you see on TV.” “But it seems so real!” I said. “You want it to be real. There’s a big difference."


2) How the World Sees You: Discover Your Highest Value Through the Science of Fascination by Hogshead. This book and earlier one which I'll mention next. She wrote, 
"I happened to notice that fascination is one of the oldest and most feared words in written language. Tracing back the Latin roots, it means “to bewitch.” For thousands of years, fascination has been feared as an evil power that could grip anyone’s attention, holding them captive, powerless to resist. I stopped reading, transfixed by this piece of information. Fascination used to be more powerful than witchcraft?"


3) Her earlier book, Fascinate: Your 7 Triggers to Persuasion and Captivation which tell us how to fascinate others. How about this thought, 
"People would be willing to pay almost a week’s salary to be the most fascinating person in any situation." 
I'm giving a talk on interestingness in a few days and this directly relates.




4) A Theology of Chaos by McColley and Jai. There is much hurt in the world and the authors talk about evil and suffering in the context of chaos. They wrote, 
"in 1914, came World War I, with its trench warfare and the advent of poisonous gas. Nearly 20 million people died. Soon after came World War II with the unprecedented horrors of the Holocaust. Over 60 million people, nearly three percent of the world’s population, were killed during World War II. Both wars were fought largely in western Europe. A whole continent, which had previously embraced an overly simplistic attitude about God, was forced to face the question of God’s goodness in the midst of unspeakable suffering. Many people became agnostic or atheist."
I will definitely finish this book.

5) And I'm re-reading Where Good Ideas Come From by Johnson for about the 3rd time. Love it. I wrote about it over here. I've found some new applications of these ideas in a way that is 'interesting' to me. More about it maybe another time.

6) And finally, the one book I've gotten into in the past few days while on a plane is Michael Johnson's latest book called Flash Boys. Probably mostly true and very disturbing. Wall Street is probably cheating everyone so that those there can get their bonus. Too bad the laws are written differently to require those who purchase stocks to hold them for a day. Even one day seems like it would make a big difference.
 

I think the Shallows are affecting me.

If you have a suggestion, let me know.

1 comment:

  1. I'm only a few chapters into "And the Mountains Echoed" by Khaled Hosseini, the author of "The Kite Runner." Very compelling thus far.

    ReplyDelete