Monday, March 17, 2014

Sorry

Been gone for a while. Sorry.

We are all busy so no excuse there as that is common to all of us. I did mean to post something last week but it just didn't happen. Here are some things going on these days.

I was in Asia last week at the same time the 777 disappeared. As a frequent traveler with a million miles on United, I find this hard to digest. The day the plane went missing, I had a number of friends flying home from meetings in that same area. Wednesday this past week I flew on a 777 from Singapore to Hong Kong over the South China Sea. And related, the missing American is known to many of my friends around here so it is even closer than usual.

I'm doing a commencement speech in a few weeks for a local university and I've been working and thinking about the thoughts to share with the graduates and their families. I get 15 minutes. Should be interesting and fun.

A friend talked me into training for and running a 1/2 marathon with them. That is so funny. If you had told me I'd be doing this 6 months ago and I'd have said you were crazy. I mean, why run 13.1 miles when you can get in your car and just drive it? I had been running for exercise around the neighborhood in the mornings for about a year but only about 3 miles and that included lots of walking. Since agreeing to do this run, I ran 7 km the next day, then 5 mi, then 7.5 miles, then 8 miles, then 10 miles and then recently 10 miles again this past weekend. I don't even know myself. But I'm loving it and seem to have stretched out in a new direction that is still most unexpected. In March so far I've run 37 miles and last month I ran 80.3 miles. Who am I? Life is an adventure and I'm writing a new chapter. I'm so thankful to have been asked and challenged to do this.

And I'm teaching a class at church and work is busy and we have some other things going on too.

So, sorry I've not been around for a while.

I am reading a wonderful book right now and have several to post on shortly.

Hope you are having a great day and notice that I'm posting this at 6 am because I'm up with jet lag from last week. I've been up for hours...

2 comments:

  1. Oh Mark, I can't imagine being in Asia when all of that happened with the 777 (for you OR your family). God knows the number of our days, but we don't. So glad you made it home safely. With all the books and blogs you read, I can't imagine narrowing down your advice to graduates to only 15 minutes, but I know it will be inspirational and wish I could hear it. The way you continue to challenge yourself in so many ways is inspirational to us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ran before this post at 6 AM then you really are a madman.

    ReplyDelete