Tuesday, December 10, 2013

A few good books...

A few notes on books in process and pending. And some thoughts about them.

First, I've written before about how work and the workplace is being reinvented and that those starting out need to be mindful of those changes. I wrote on my other blog about the book Rebooting Work which was written by a person I've met and visited with last year. If you are working with people who are struggling with directions at work, careers and career strategies, I'd recommend the book. You can see that review here.

I've got several books that I'm juggling to read all at the same time. I think that makes me weird, but that is how I roll. Here are the ones underway:
  1. Seeing What Others Don't: The Remarkable Ways We Gain Insights
    The book is about improving our insights or getting better insights. There is a wonderful quote in the book that makes the point:  "To improve performance, we need to do two things. The down arrow is what we have to reduce, errors. The up arrow is what we have to increase, insights. Performance improvement depends on doing both of these things." My boss at work made the comment at work a while back that one of his friends said that since we frequently make errors in our decisions, then we need to minimize the decisions that we absolutely must get right.  There is a great article about being less wrong. This book is about getting the insights right. 
  2. Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World which was recommended to me by Jeff Bingham. The books is about being extraordinary and it talks about lots of different dimensions on this topic. He references an earlier quote from CS Lewis where he says, “It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.” I'm about 1/2 way through the book.
And I have the latest, and last, Tom Clancy book, the Soul Detox book by Groeschel and the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer book in the queue. And some others.

And, I have to say I downloaded a couple of the books on the scary book list I tweeted a few weeks ago and I've marked several books from Amazon best of the year list for my future reading. In short, more book and not enough time.

Related, if you are on Goodreads, I'd love to connect. If you've not looked at that site before, take a look. I'm using Goodreads to manage the lists on the side of this blog.

Wherever you are and whatever you are doing, I hope you doing well and at peace. More on this next time.

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment