Friday, August 16, 2013

Some Miscellaneous Thoughts on Reading and Books

Seth Godin wrote a piece recently on the end of books and I think he might be right. I feel guilty when I go in B&N and browse around but then only make notes of books I want to download. I'm glad they are there to help me find things, but I don't seem to buy many physical books anymore.

I'm considering buying books for a group of 120 people at work for an upcoming meeting. Do I buy 120 hardback book or 120 ebooks? Which is easier to deal with and distribute? Let me think.

The beloved shelf of books in our homes and offices might become a thing of the past and I'll regret that very much. I have a lot of books at home and they give me comfort in some strange fashion however, I'm realizing they are a thing of the past.

Here is a post on uncluttering that deals with the books. I've gone through this process before and I've actually thrown perfectly good books into the trash can. The pain still lives with me.

And then is here from the NY Times earlier this month ask if you have a one in one out policy on books?

I travel a lot and I use the Kindle on my iPad for reading which is nearly ideal. I love not carrying physical books in my backpack anymore.

Times are changing.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Mark,

    Living very close to a Barnes and Nobles, I frequently stop by the store in between errands and appointments. I spend a lot of time at the store, browsing the books, and wearing down the furniture. I rarely buy a book from the physical store, unless it is an impulse purchase, which I regret later. I used to feel guilty of visiting the store and not any buying book. Then I ran across a NY Time article on the topic of pay-to-display contract between the book publisher and the bookstores. With pay-to-display, the publisher essentially pays the bookstore to display various books at very prominent spots. This way the publisher is getting a place to advertise new books to the bookstore visitors. This essentially makes me (the store visitor) a product that the bookstore is selling to the publisher. We are no longer the customer of the bookstore, but rather the product that they sell to the publishers. Now I don't feel that bad for not buying books from the store.

    Like Prof. Jonathan Zittrain said, “When something online is free, you’re not the customer, you’re the product.”

    Saqib

    ReplyDelete