Monday, July 1, 2013

All Over

Today, my family is amazingly scattered around the world. I'm visiting a work location in Korea right now. My wife is currently on an airplane somewhere over the Atlantic heading towards London and my son is in the last few hours of a visit to the Czech Republic. My daughter and son-in-law are holding down the fort in OKC.

We live in an amazingly changed world from the one I grew up in. I never had the chance, money or opportunity to travel overseas when I was young and likely, I wouldn't have gone. It was inconceivable. In fact, I can't remember any of the kids my age who did any overseas travel other than maybe going to Mexico for a family vacation.

We had dinner with friends last week and their daughter is studying architecture in Europe this summer. She has visited Rome, somewhere in France and next she goes to Barcelona. Of course.

When I was a junior in high school, I went to debate camp in Kansas (KU) and that was living on the edge.

Our kids have opportunities to experience the world that I never had. The world is shrinking.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, it's pretty crazy how common overseas travel is nowadays! I did go on a Germany campaign in college, but remember being a little disappointed that the first Vienna study tour happened the year after I graduated college.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those study overseas things are increasing in availability and in kids taking advantage of them. Seems like it was very rare decades ago, in the circles I ran with, but they are much more frequent now. What a great opportunity for university students.

      Delete
  2. Yes, the world is definitely shrinking. It's amazing the number of countries our kids have been to, after doing semesters abroad and mission trips. I am just thankful that technology has kept up, so that we are able to maintain contact even when they are a world away! When I went to Germany for 6 weeks after college, all we had was post cards...no cell phones, no computers, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SMS connects us in ways we would have never dreamed years ago. I once was in China texting my daughter who was in Finland. Very surreal.

      Delete