Monday, January 14, 2013

20,000 Days

Just finished reading the book 20,000 Days and Counting: The Crash Course for Mastering Your Life Right Now and I wanted to pass along a quick recommendation. The premise of the book is based on the recognizing his 20,000th day alive.  He writes:


A couple of years ago, I found a widget called a Countdown Calendar that told me how many more days were left until New Year’s Day, or whatever future date you put. I wondered if it worked on days past. It did. I put in my birth date and was WOWed by how many days I had been alive. I decided then that I would do something to celebrate when I reached the next big number. Friday, February 5, 2010, was that day. I have been alive 20,000 days as of that day. I am grateful for each day, and for where they have brought me. I decided to celebrate by taking a 48-hour crash course on planning the next 20,000 days, all while staying in a beautiful suite at one of The Leading Hotels of the World—at an undisclosed location. I would like to share a verse that has influenced my life. “Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom” (Psalm 90:12; Bible, Sacred Scriptures of Christians and Judaism). Life is short.
He writes about starting each day:
HOW DO YOU START YOUR DAY? WHAT MATTERS MOST WHEN you’re fresh out of bed? Here is what a typical morning thought process is like for me: 1. When I first open my eyes, I immediately feel grateful and full of anticipation. This is a new day. I have more chances, opportunities, and unexpected privileges because I stepped up and took responsibility in all areas of my life. 2. I rise quickly. God has something He wants to tell me. I eagerly jump to see what it is. I quickly act the way I want to feel, overriding whatever feelings may have overtaken me during the night. I have mastered the art of reaching an immediate peak state when I open my eyes. 3. I focus on my number-one priority of the day: meditation. I prioritize my daily list of things to do by what’s most important and rewarding, well before I start. I purposely find ways to spend more time each day on what’s most important to me. I concentrate my time on the activities that produce the greatest rewards for the kingdom of God. 4. I will not fail to deliver on God’s mission for my life. I have learned the art of praising my Creator constantly. I mean to make myself a man after God’s own heart. If I succeed in that, I will succeed in everything else. 
I'm not sure 'eager' and 'I rise quickly' describe me well and I certainly don't reach a 'peak state when I open my eyes' but I appreciate the thought. I do move quickly once I'm up, but I tend to just lay there too long if you know what I mean. He has this wonderful phrase that he talks about 'No reserves. No retreats. No regrets' throughout the book and I like that idea.


The book is a quick read and the ideas are right on. I certainly recommend this as some powerful thoughts as you move towards or past your 20,000th day.  That is just shy of your 55th year for those of you wondering about the math.

I find this last quote to be true: 
Our days are numbered. Our lives are limited. Life can pass extremely fast. The Bible says that a person’s life is like a breath or vapor (Psalm 39:4–6). The Bible also says that life is like a shadow that only temporarily appears (Ecclesiastes 6:12). And like a flower that flourishes then quickly withers and fades away (Job 14:2).
It passes really fast. My daughter was just married. My son is in college. I've come to realize that what is most important is not things, but relationships.  Faith, Family and Friends and then finding ways to help others.

Blessings to you and thanks for stopping by.

3 comments:

  1. Great post - thanks for sharing. I find myself thinking quite often about stewardship. I've been blessed in so many ways. Am I being a good steward of those countless gifts? It's a challenging question, one that helps me focus on trying to improve and make a difference - be a blessing to others. Your last line is profound and I agree: "'I've come to realize that what is most important is not things, but relationships. Faith, Family and Friends."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post. I have this thing where I feel as soon as my eyes open I should get up and get out of bed and do something I enjoy before the "day" starts. That means if is is 3am or 4am - get up and read your bible, organize your day, read a book, work out longer... God is nudging me.... but I usually roll back over - I'm going to be that person some day - surely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep thinking about the book. It is a short read and I do recommend it.

    ReplyDelete