Thursday, December 27, 2012

Les Misérables

We saw the movie yesterday.

Beth and I have seen the traveling broadway show twice in the US and we saw a production that was touring in Asia while we were in Singapore so we've seen it three times. The show in Singapore had the dialog translated into Chinese on a screen above the stage for those who couldn't understand the English.


I liked it. The music in this show is just wonderful (stage and move) and if you've not seen/heard it, you should go see the movie. When we first saw the performance years ago, we purchased the CDs from the original London production.

A few thoughts on the movie:

  1. It was much easier to understand the story because the movie allows one to get much closer to the people to see their expressions and environment and thus their hardships and joys. After seeing the movie I better understand the story that I've seen three times on the stage.
  2. The actors did a good job. They weren't the greatest at singing (Russell Crowe) but they did a good job. In a sense, one trades off stage actors who sing for screen actors who act.  It is not easy to have both.
  3. Anne Hathaway was very good as Fantine. One could really get into the hardships and suffering she was going through.  Good stuff.
  4. I didn't want to step out of the theater for fear of missing part of it. Haven't thought that in a long time.
Overall really good and recommended.  You can see more about it here.

PS. That is my final broadway show review of the year.

3 comments:

  1. with all the hype I hope I'm not disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla and I just read the book and then went to see the movie. We both loved the movie. If you get a chance to read the book I highly recommend it. I have not seen the Broadway play but when Carla and I take our next trip to NYC this is on the "A" list. See my blog for a review of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, you won't be disappointed and Pat, thanks for the recommendation on the book.

    ReplyDelete