Thursday, June 7, 2012

Getting Around

I have dear friends who have recently returned from trips overseas. In both cases the parents have taken their children with them to be part of the experience. One family went to Brazil and S has written several posts on it and the other traveled to Kenya and J has written several posts. They've had great experiences which they've been fortune to share with kids.

If you've not had the chance to travel somewhere different from where you've grown up, please try to find a way to go somewhere. Experience a different culture. Eat new things. See amazing sites. Make new friends.

The world is getting smaller where one can video conference with friends from their mobile phone. Go make friends somewhere and walk in their shoes. It is one of the best ways for us to understand one another and connect with one another.

I once traveled to Guatemala as part of a medical mission trip. I assisted an oral surgeon who was helping natives in the mountains who had terrible dental problems. A life changing experience for me.

4 comments:

  1. The interconnectedness is amazing. We have been getting FB requests from people who barely have electricity - and definately no running water - in their homes. They connect through their phones. The importance of seeing their lives in person cannot be overstated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you! Life experiences teach us in so many ways. I'm glad my parents made it a priority even on a tight budget to travel with their children. I continued that tradition and we reached our goal of travel with our kids as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John and Robin, I've been slow to reply. Thanks for stopping by. John, you are right that we are more connected than we realize.

    ReplyDelete