Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Passages

Last night I had the chance to visit the Passages exhibit at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art. Passages is an organized collection of ancient and more recent bible texts and related documents. The Green family in Oklahoma has been collecting these manuscripts for a while and they are now on the front end of organizing the highlights into a show and ultimately into a museum somewhere in the US.

Last night a lecturer from the British Library gave an excellent talk on the creation of the original King James bible and the sources that were used for that translation. He (Scott McKendrick) reviewed the sources for the KJV and then pointed out the sources that might have been used to create a better result.  He went on to discuss multiple old manuscripts, their stories and the differences that exist between different manuscripts. The talk complete with pictures and detailed examples was fascinating.  A reply by Dr. John Harrison of OCU was also most interesting with further examples and key points. Unfortunately, these lectures are completely sold out for the remaining dates or I would try to attend some of the upcoming sessions.

A few years ago I had the chance to visit the British Museum with my friend Dan Shields and others. At the museum, I was captivated by a book called The Story of Writing: Alphabets, Hieroglyphs, & Pictograms by Andrew Robinson. This book told the tale of writing through the ages and in particular had fascinating bits about unlocking the meaning in unknown writing systems. A similar tale was told in the Nova show called Cracking the Maya Code which I must have watched 5-6 times. I'd probably watch it again next time I see it on. In fact, I think I'll tell my tivo to look for it...  I recommend the book and the Nova show too.

I heartily recommend the Passages show while it is still in the OKC area. The show will continue till around 10/16 then it is probably heading to Atlanta.  Part of the collection goes to the Vatican next year for a visit. This is a high quality collection and well worth the visit if you are nearby.

1 comment:

  1. That is great that you got to hear that lecture! I wasn't even aware of them. We took the family when it first opened in May, and loved it! I am really proud of the fact that this exhibit by Okies will be going all over the world!

    ReplyDelete