Thursday, June 16, 2011

A Thought on Authors

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

I finished reading the three "Girl who..." books while traveling last week.  I read The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest all by Stieg Larsson who has passed away after finishing these books.  I have to say, it is sad that he has passed away as these are three very well written books that I enjoyed reading.  They were quiet raw and intense at time, but the characters were interesting and the story lines so captivating that I could hardly put the books down.  They were great while traveling on the plane, but then a curse when I was in the destination and wanted to get out and see places (Singapore and Seoul).

The Stand
This author writes in a manner that the scenes and people are very vivid to me.  Clear and interesting.  I've found few authors who write like this.  Long ago I used to think that Stephen King was like this when I read books like The Dead Zone and The Stand and several of his later books.  King wrote in a fashion that just drew you into the story and kept you turning pages.

The Sparrow
There was a book I read years ago by Mary Doria Russell called The Sparrow that did the same.  I didn't like one part of the book, but I felt it was amazing writing.  I read the sequel to the book but never read any more of her writing. I should probably go back and take another look.

I really like to read things that paint vivid pictures and draw you into the story very deeply.  If you have any such authors or books to recommend please let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment