Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tweet Reflections

If you follow many people on Twitter you probably have a timeline like mine. Some are tweeting happy thoughts about basketball, kids, food or love. Others are tweeting about violence in some part of the world or their own version of hate or prejudice. Still others spread faith or self-improvement When you mix these people together you get the story of life scrolling by one tweet at a time.

I was in Disney World a couple of months ago right after the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. I was experiencing the fun of Disney while others around the world are hurting and there were many tweet updates about the suffering and events while I was in this happy place. Weeks ago I was sitting at home watching NBA basketball on tv when the timeline lit up with reports of people being killed by soldiers in Syria. Eyewitnesses were reporting of gun fire around the world as it was happening and while I was watching a game on tv. A couple of days ago I was watching twitter when the Osama story started breaking and the twitter timeline lit up. I literally watched that story explode on twitter.

Facebook seems to be a place where friends report on sunshine in their lives or they try to be witty. Twitter seems to be a harsher peek into what is going on around the world.

Watching the twitter timeline has brought home several thoughts to me. First, the range of stories, beliefs, opinions and happenings around the world cover the complete spectrum in all directions and dimensions. Second, not everybody thinks like me or believes what I believe and everyone's experiences are different. Sometimes it is shocking how successive tweets in the timeline can take opposite views or positions on the same topic. Third, some people just try to shock to attract attention or perhaps love. These people are just sad. Finally, while I hesitate to filter the timeline to limit the things I see, I also think it is more and more important to be more selective. I've started un-following some who are just hateful or dumb.

The book of Colossians says to "set your minds on things above, not on earthly things" in Colossians 3:2 which I think applies here. In fact all of Colossians 3 applies.

Peace to all.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to know I haven't missed much by not tweeting...I just read Still Alice. Couldn't put it down!!! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete