Tuesday, March 1, 2011

TearJerkers

I record CBS Sunday morning each week and this past Sunday they had a story on tearjerkers in the movies and how we don't see them much more. Now I have to confess that I've been doing a major transformation of my DVD movie collection and most of my movies are sci-fi and the like and there are not a lot of tearjerkers.  However, I really liked this story.  If you can find it online take a look.

I mean who didn't like Serendipity when they found each other at the end, or Brian's Song where one of the characters died.   Or how about that funny scene in Sleepless in Seattle when Tom Hanks character is talking about the Dirty Dozen scene...



The real killer in recent movie history is Up where we see the story of the wife who died and then far later in the movie we see what she left him. Yes, I had a tear then. If you didn't then I have to worry about you. I confess that I recorded it on Tivo and then re-watched these scenes.




Tomorrow I turn 50. Today I received my AARP card in the mail. Thank you. I have great friends, I've been around the world. I have great kids. My parents and brother and sister are nearby and I have a wonderful wife.

Yes I like phasers, starships, submarines, knives, Macs, Ice Station Zebra and the Thunder but I love my wife and kids and family and friends and yes I tear up from time-to-time.   I'm alive.

I've been blessed.  

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, albeit a little early in CST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Mark.

    I haven't watched movies in years and haven't watched Up, but reading the line, "Thanks for the adventure, now go have a new one", in the clip you posted, I got what you mean by tear jerkers......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! You are blessed and have a great perspective on life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by guys. Appreciate the visit and the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete