- A visit to Disney World is not a restful trip. No, no, no. It is a marathon and a sprint at the same time. One must get up early every day and one must hurry from one park to another and from one ride to another. There is no rest here.
- There is a very complicated optimization problem to solve in real time while visiting the parks. One must decide whether to go to Soarin' to get a express pass before running across the front part of Epcot to get in line at Mission Space or at Test Track. Or should one go to Test Track first? It is hard to tell and I think the day of the week and the hour of the day are key process input variables (engineer speak). At Magic Kingdom do you go to Space Mountain first for the express pass or to Buzz Light Year?
- Sometimes despite your best planning, you can speed to your solution of the problem and then find the ride closed or temporarily offline which forces an immediately recalculation (Haunted Mansion). In other times, you can be standing in the standby line and someone might walk up to you and hand you three express passes for the same ride. (Yes it happened to us but I was wearing my St. Patricks day clover / mickey mouse head pin which explains it and should have been expected to happen).
- Of course, one needs a nearly infinite amount of money to be there yet there is nearly an infinite number of people running/walking around you which leads to a mystery as to how this can be when the economy is not supposed to be good. I'm convinced that when you arrive in Orlando at the airport, if you pause and listen carefully you can hear dollars being sucked out of your wallet.
- Of course, at Epcot you must visit the Boulangerie Pâtisserie and purchase the chocolate mousse.
- I think the real learning is that when going to Disney World one must plan to run and go and rest later. One must go back home to rest. It doesn't matter that the Boardwalk is slow moving or there are Spas and Golf and Pools at the resort. There is some 'magic' rule that compels you to just go.
- In the end, it is an amazing place. And it as a delight to spend a few days with family.
Saturday, March 19, 2011
On a Trip...
Went on a trip this past week with family. Thirteen of us visiting Disney World. Some truths were learned from this adventure.