Thursday, March 3, 2011

Left Neglect

I wrote about the book Still Alice a few weeks back and I was so intrigued by the story and the author that I went out and found her new book.   It is called Left Neglect and it another amazing story about a real malady that some experience.  In this case, after a brain injury, the lead character has no sense of her left side.  She literally can't see you if you are standing on her left side and she can't control her left arm or left leg.   In a certain sense, they have disappeared from her worldview.   What is not obvious is how to adapt to this problem and that is the bulk of the story.  

Our lead character injured her brain while fumbling with her mobile phone resulting in a car wreck.  Lesson there for all of us.

Again, I enjoyed these characters like the last book and I learned about a world that I did not know existed.  I find myself reading these medical detective books over and over again.  Bookmarks magazine this month (Mar/Apr 2011) has an article on Literary Physicians and as I turn through it, I find I've read about 1/2 of the books mentioned.   I wrote down the names of a couple I've not seen...   I've loved several of the books by Atul Gawande like Better.

Lots to read these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment