Sunday, August 9, 2009

Its a Big World Out There and Lots of People In It

I just got back from a trip to Asia. Flew from the US through Tokyo (Narita actually) to Singapore where I spent almost a week. I did a day trip to Penang, Malaysia on Thursday. Good food everywhere!

When I flew home, I left the hotel in Singapore at 5 AM (or 4 PM CDT). I arrived in OKC at about 11 PM the next day. Total wall time was 24 + 7 = 31 hours in transit. There was a 6+ hour trip from Singapore to Tokyo, followed by a 9+ hour trip to Tokyo to LA, followed by a 2 hour trip to Denver then an hour trip from Denver to OKC. With the corresponding 2-3 hour layovers everywhere. All adds up to 31 hours in transit. I was a bit tired and ready for a shower. I think I watched the new Star Trek movie 5-6 times on the planes.

It is a big world out there. Lots of people heading lots of different directions and all with a story. I had a story as I walked through the airport in Tokyo and so did everyone who was around me. I passed people I'll never see again.

I try really hard to be nice while traveling because travel is so stressful anyway. I try to say thanks to the stewards on the planes and to the people in the restaurants and to the folks I meet on the streets. Just smile and say hi. One never knows how such might ripple and have an effect somewhere else, even in another country as travelers pass by. Be a light in the darkness in a simple way. Say a prayer for someone who seems to be in distress or smile and perhaps lend a hand to an exhausted mom who is traveling with two toddlers.

We should be a light all the time. It is hard sometimes because our own lights might be out. However, we should try. The world would be a better place I think. Light a Candle.

PS. I should add that I really love the folks in Singapore and Malaysia (and Thailand and China) that I get to see from time to time. Really great folks. I'm sorry I can't get there more often. I have a job that lets me connect with people in Asia and Europe and it has been a real blessing for me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment