Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Ignite

Stumbled across this recently about a series of meetings called Ignite where speakers are given 5 minutes to tell their story. There is a good YouTube video about the purpose and how to do this and a YouTube channel with lots of the presentations available to view.

I've talked about storytelling before and I find that a skill that I need to master. Well, here is the ultimate, compact, on-the-stage storytelling challenge. We all have stories and as the how-to video above shows, there are different ways to frame our stories.

I like this idea because:
  1. It forces you pull your thoughts together into a short version. No rambling allowed.
  2. It forces you to rationalize your slides. No time for wasted, nonsense in Powerpoint.
  3. And it forces you to think about what is your story? Do you have a story?

This is a cool idea. I'd love to go see one of these and perhaps try out one. Take a look at a few of the videos above. I looked at the one on Restoring the Archimedes Palimpsest.

If you have a faith story, can you tell it in 5 minutes? If you have some cause, can you tell someone about it in 5 minutes?

Let me know what you think about this.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool site. I'd seen this type of talk done in a tech setting, but didn't think of using it for faith. I also am very interested in storytelling and think this would be a cool, innovative way to make many people think about their faith story. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, these are good thoughts for any presentation.

    ReplyDelete