Saturday, June 13, 2009

Sacredness of Questioning Everything

The Sacredness of Questioning Everything by James David Dark is exactly about its title. Its about any faith or any belief being willing to stand the test of questions. For something to be real, to be something believable, it must be able to stand questioning. Religious faith should not be afraid of challenges. In fact, we should be thinking with our minds about what we believe in our hearts.

My grandfather might have cited the apostle Paul's observation that we all see reality "through a glass, darkly." The need to think otherwise--that we always know what we're talking about, that we're objective, that we know where we stand and where we're coming from-- might be one of the burdens my grandfather believe he was being delivered from by the grace of God. Perhaps he hoped to help my father remain open to the sweet, saving realization that we don't actually understand much of anything.
and
I'd like to suggest that the deepest call of most religious traditions is the call to reverence, specifically the revering of other human beings, no matter their creed, or DNA or documentation. A call to revere God by revering the people who bear God's image is a call to revere all people... I'd like to think my grandfather somehow sensed this. I know my father did. We're called to revere. We're called to be afraid of ourselves, our own evil, own own tendency to prevert, to mischaracterize, and to bear false witness. And as we read, look, listen, and create, we're called to ask questions. We're called to remain open to moments of illumination--religious moments, if you will. We are each called to ask questions--in the name of life and hope--as if our souls depend on it.

I can't really do this book justice. I must read it again.

This is a hard book at the same time. It will challenge your thinking about lots of things. We shouldn't just take the word of the talking heads on tv, or what a magazine says is truth, or even what our parents taught us. We all need to think.

Recommended.

1 comment:

  1. I found a review of this book yesterday and then found your blog today. It strikes me at this moment how important the understanding of and articulation of doubts are to being real about any belief, system, religion, or worldview. I am ordering the book now.

    ReplyDelete