Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Buy a really, really big TV, and spend all your evenings watching it

I founds two 'not' lists this week and wanted to pass them along.  The first is How Not to Follow Your Dreams and it has the great line in the title above in it.   I thought about that line since I read it and what it meant.   Think small and think of the reasons why you'll fail and just watch that big TV every night.   Don't read and certainly don't challenge yourself by engaging in some great dialog with friends or others who bother to 'think'.    I talked once before about great conversations.

The other 'not' list is 10 Signs That You Aren't A Good Leader.    You know, micro-manage everyone, don't develop anyone to take your place, talk but don't listen, etc.   Another 'not' list.   

This weekend, I've read 2.5 books ( and I have several hours still to go where I might get the .5 done).  The current book is The Sacredness of Questioning Everything by Dark and it is about not being afraid of question, especially with regard to religion and faith.   I totally agree.  We all need learn to think and think critically.  Don't accept what the talking heads on the news say and don't think that the movies are reality.   

The other two books are The Noticer:  Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective and The Anatomy of Peace.   The former is about noticing things around and having the right perspective.   The later is about resolving conflict.   Both are good and recommended.

3 comments:

  1. Love the title of the post. For the past two years during the summer we have canceled all TV programming at our house. This way it's not a crutch to fall back on. Summer is a great time to get out and do things. Also, here is a great book written in 1986 about television. It's more of the study of media types then just about TV

    http://www.amazon.com/Amusing-Ourselves-Death-Discourse-Business/dp/0140094385

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate the post about how to tell if they're not a good leader. Next year, I am going to be in charge of an organization at school, and I am hoping that I do a good job. That list helped me realize that it's ok if things don't always go as planned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phil, thanks for the book recommendation. I'll take a look.

    ReplyDelete