Sunday, February 22, 2009

Lift Others Up

I’ve been reading a lot of books in the past few months and there is a very common theme that seems to run through them. Let me tell you the books I’ve read and you might see the theme very quickly.


The Integrity Dividend: Leading by the Power of Your Word
The Power of Nice: How to Conquer the Business World with Kindness
The Power of Kindness
The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea
The Five Secrets You Must Discover Before You Die
Quiet Strength: The Principles, Practices & Priorities of a Winning Life


Now I’ve read other books like Sci-FI, some economics books and some non-fiction science books too so don’t think I only read one kind of book. But there is a real common theme in these books and I want to recommend one of them in particular.

The Five Secrets book has ‘Give More Than You Take’ as one of the secrets.   The Go-Giver has “Your true worth is determined by how much more you give in value than you take in payment. “ You can guess what is in the two Power books.

In each of these, there is a common theme to focus on others and not yourself. I’ve been thinking a lot about this lately at work and in my personal life. About trying to make the other person successful or solve their problems and not worrying about my own problems. That is the key theme in the Go-Giver book. Help those around you succeed and you will succeed.

As I mentioned on an earlier post, this is merely a restatement of the ‘do unto others’ theme from Matthew 7 in the New Testament.

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.   Matthew 7:12
I want to recommend the Go-Giver book in particular.   It is a short business story about a character needing to see things differently.   It is in the book stores now.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mark,

    Just a quick note to say THANK YOU for your kind mention of John David Mann's and my book.

    Much appreciated!

    Bob Burg, coauthor, The Go-Giver

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a long time since I was in the business world, but what a gold mine of information this is for anyone in business, especially those who manage people. How generous you are to read all of these books, pick out some of the gems, and share them with others. Young people starting out, as well as others with more experience, would do well to read this blog and some of the recommended books. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete