Thursday, November 13, 2008

Life 101

I was meeting with the youth director at our local church recently and he was seeking input on the curriculum of what they teach the teenagers at church over the course of the time they are passing through 6th through 12th grade. I made the point that there might should be a Life 101 type class where for 13 weeks, we talk about 13 different themes or key ideas that kids need to get straight at some point in their life.

I wrote down some of the themes I was thinking about that afternoon and here they are:

Life is not Fair
Discipline vs Laziness
The risks of affluence
Community
Be Kind
Beyond Self
Holiness


Today I came across a post on Life is not Fair and I thought I'd share it. How about this posting on having a purpose?

I'm going to be looking for some good resources on these ideas and add to this list going forward. I'm looking to find 13 Life 101 Topics and resources. I've seen posts of things that people wish they had known when they were younger or things to tell their kids. I'm going to pull some of that material together.

3 comments:

  1. Hello again Mark, I think that the youth minister at your church has alot of great ideas, however he should also if he can talk about life after death. Mostly because during highschool many students change there views on death to a positive or negotive look on life/death.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark. I read your blog last week, and this morning I saw the following post:
    Rising from the Financial Ruins

    I thought it might be a good addition to your resources for the 13 Life 101 list.

    Quoting from the blogpost:

    Coming out of the (financial) crisis, we may see "a more cooperative form of capitalism in America," he said. There might be a more equitable redistribution of wealth. Young people who fantasized about making big bucks on Wall Street or in real estate development might change their majors.

    "Having fewer financial resources may not be an unmitigated bad thing. If you can't meet your objective to become wealthy, you will find another one - and your second choice might be more meaningful for you and better for society.", said Jim Sherbloom

    ReplyDelete
  3. See http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/unconventional-ideas/

    ReplyDelete