Sunday, October 19, 2008

How To Be A Failure

I'm reading the book "The Big Moo: Stop Trying to Be Perfect and Start Being Remarkable" which is referenced in the book list to the right.   I'm about 1/3 of the way through and it is quite good.   I read one of his other books and I look at his blog frequently.   Good stuff and I highly recommend the book so far.

One of the chapters is on 'How to be a Failure' and I wanted to share it a few bits of it.   It is just a list of ways to fail.    

1) Keep Secrets
2) Be certain you're right and ignore those who disagree with you.
3) Set aggressive deadlines for others to get buy in - then change them when they aren't met.

5) Focus more on what other people think and less on whether your idea is as good as it could be.

8) Realize that people who don't instantly get your idea are bullheaded, shortsighted or even stupid.
9) Don't bother to dramatically increase the quality of your presentation style.


Number 9 resonates with me in a special way because I'm fanatical about the quality of presentations.    People will put huge amounts of effort into their ideas and totally fail at selling them or communicating with others about them.   I'm constantly stunned about how little attention people pay to the quality of their presentations.

Number 1 is really good too.   I've been working on transparency at work and sharing what I'm thinking on a company blog multiple times per week.  We need to share every bit of information possible to help all make better decisions.

I enjoy Seth's blog and his books and recommend them all.   Take a look at the book here.

No comments:

Post a Comment